Saturday, June 21, 2014

Roe Jen

I did not expect to tag animals on the Roe Jen this summer, but after working at another site where I thought I could get access to plenty of lamprey and having no luck I went to the park in Germantown.
A picture of the Roe Jen looking downstream.

And another of the bridge that runs through the middle of the park. The picture is taken from the beach/mowed area that allows easy access to the Roe Jen.

This damselfly (Calopteryx sp., the dusky wing damselfly) was out looking for prey and a mate.



Two pools that both held lamprey. The top one had about 30-50 animals, while the bottom one had just a couple.

A bag of marked lamprey ready to return to the pool from which they were captured, fully recovered and aching to go free.

Two images, both of the same animal. Here the animal has been marked, measured for length and weight and is ready to recover before being released. It has four marks on the body. The one above the head helps me determine if my tags are not blurring or losing color. The other three give the animal its unique code.




No comments:

Post a Comment