Sunday, September 21, 2014

On the Delaware River before the Fall

Fall is rapidly approaching and while I was out sampling this weekend I definitely saw that. The water is getting colder and the trees are changing color.

The water level is also extremely low (as is normal during this time of the year). Here is a picture of where I work. When the water levels go back up this rock bar will be returned to the stream.

A picture looking upstream partially underwater of the same area. The water is so green because it was very cloudy.

The new rip rap put in by the NYSDEC to provide parking. This is not actually good management unfortunately. The rocks will turn the stream into the other bank and cause the river to erode into the bank just in front of the bridge. Likely DOT will need to come out in the future.
A small dam just upstream. Behind the dam is a pool where I catch lampreys every month. They do appear to leave here with some regularity so it is not a complete barrier to their movement.

Just before I left I took a picture of the valley from the parking lot. Quite a scenic place.

No comments:

Post a Comment