Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Final Sampling Day of 2014

I have finished sampling for this season. The water is getting colder and higher, and the leaves are starting to cover all of my sampling sites. It felt good to finish up part of my work.

The face of a stream changes every day, but it is very obvious during the fall after the first rains. The water is rising and will cover this cobble bar probably for the rest of the year.

 A similar picture, but look at the differences in the greenery around the stream.



The net I use to keep my animals in my study area as I collect them. Here it is set around one of the pools I sample. The large tree behind them is a log that was trapped under the bridge when water levels were higher. It has been there all summer and may have been trapped there during the spring floods.

A picture looking at the same area, but a better view of the net and the box it gets stored in.

I had help from an undergraduate who volunteered from the course I am teaching. It drizzled during the day so he wore is hood down.

Here he is measuring a lamprey and preparing to take its weight.


Two pictures of the same handful of lampreys. The smallest animal immediately in between my fingers is <1 year old. This animal was washed downstream during the fall rains and made it here. I have no idea how far down it came, but it could be from quite a ways upstream. The other animals in the picture are probably about 1.5 years old now.

The other side of the bridge. The trees on the mountains have already dropped their leaves for the most part, and we are getting ready for winter.

No comments:

Post a Comment